I’ve been working through a small mid-life crisis by trying to figure out what I want to do in my creative life. I’d like to find something I enjoy doing, develop my skills, and make a little money on the side by selling the fruits of my labors. In the past, I’ve enjoyed making table runners, and have sold a few at our Just The Right Things store on Etsy.
I decided to try lots of different types of crafts and see if anything peaked my interest. I’ve spent many hours on Pinterest, lost myself in the beautiful creations at Etsy, and watched countless instructional videos on YouTube. I’ve purchased materials and worked with fabric, wood, paint, stamps, stencils, felt, gelatin, batting, burlap, paper, computer, foam and much, much more. Through this process, I’ve learned a few things about myself.
- I don’t want to sit at a sewing machine for hours on end.
- I have zero drawing skills.
- Fun is important. Otherwise, I should just go get a real job.
- I like quirky things that probably don’t have a huge audience.
- I have the attention span of a gnat.
- Precision is not my strong suit – I will not be using beads anytime soon.
- I like natural products.
- I am not good with “messy” projects.
- Many, many people on YouTube aren’t very good at what they’re doing.
- I like recycling (or if I want to be trendy I’ll call it upcycling) materials.
- I’m not actually that creative.
I’ve come up with a few things that I like to do AND make me smile. Here’s one of them.
It’s not unique – you can find them on Etsy. But not with a pig on the front. I have almost enough patience to sit and make a tote in one sitting at my sewing machine. I found the directions here at Instructables.
This one will soon be found at our Etsy store! Doink the pig is very proud of me.
(Shared at The Creative HomeAcre Hop, Clever Chicks Blog Hop, You’re Gonna Love It Tuesday, Homestead Barn Hop, Backyard Farming Connection Hop, Down Home Blog Hop, Farmhouse Style Blog Hop, Frugal Days Sustainable Ways, The HomeAcre Hop, Link Love Thursday, Farm Girl Blog Fest, Farmgirl Friday Blog Hop and Farm Fun Friday!)